Saturday, May 25, 2013

Creating the cover art for the Kickstarter Special Edition.

Hey Everyone,

My process for creating art has evolved quite a bit over the years and I'm sure it will continue to do so as time goes on. I feel that as an artist you should always be learning and growing. I think it makes the process more enjoyable.

I have a pet peeve about comic covers. Many of them are just pin ups and they often times give no hint of what is going on with the story inside. I have to admit that in the past I have been very guilty of this myself.

I wanted to make sure that the covers to this graphic novel are not done that way. Each cover for each chapter of the Sword of the Apocalypse Graphic Novel will be based on actual images from the interior story.

For the cover of the Kickstarter Special Edition I started by looking at all of the Prelim Sketches for the panels of Chapter 1. I chose the ones that had what I thought were the clearest looking images of Luxura.

 I knew that many people would be seeing this for the first time so I wanted them to get a good look at the character. The prelim sketches are done in pencil at the size of 8.5 x 11 inches on Strathmore Drawing Paper.

I made a mock up of the entire design and placed the images in what I thought would be the best areas. I then scan in the prelim sketches and enlarge them. I lighten the lines in Photoshop and then print the images out on a new sheet of drawing paper. I draw in a few more lines and then I start inking.
My inking style has evolved as well. I know use more delicate lines that are less heavy handed. Part of the reason for this is that much of the work of defining the figure will be done in the next stage. I inked both images separately then put them together again in Photoshop before I started on the gray tones.


After scanning, I position the images together and move on to the gray tones. I only use warm and cool gray markers to get the effect I want. I love the look of it. The mood that the markers gives is perfect for the tone of this story. It also adds a depth to the work that I really like.


The final colors are digitally filled in for the background. I then add the logos and we now have a finished cover.


I want to thank those of you who have done so much to really help make this project a success so far.There are only 7 days left for the Kickstarter campaign so please come on board and help us really put this over the edge.