Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Free Comic Book Day 2012 at The Dragon’s Lair!


Meet Therna! One of the new characters in the Sword of the Apocalypse Graphic Novel portrayed by Amanda Sherwood.

After taking a break last year, we returned to do another Free Comic Book Day at what is basically my “Home Base” comic store, Dragon’s Lair in Fayetteville, North Carolina. I’ve been a customer there for about 18 years and the owner Bernie, has been a big supporter of my comics ever since I first started.  Over the years we’ve grown to become close friends so supporting him and this store is just part of what I love to do.
I drew and donated this Iron-Man Cover Sketch on an New Avengers #1 Heroic Age Edition. 

The comic was raffled off and the proceeds were donated to charity.

I think the anticipation of the Avengers movie must have fueled even more interest in comics this year because the store was PACKED all day long! It was an awesome day and we had great fun.
When ever I do Free Comic Day, Bernie asks me to donate some art. I figured that an Iron-Man sketch would be best since the Avengers movie just came out.

Meet Anton! He is one of the Red Militia Vampire Soldiers. Portrayed by Jeff who also goes by the name Azure. 
This is another new character for the Graphic Novel.

This is one of the models that I’m working with for reference in the new graphic novel. He did a great job and fans got to see a sneak peek at a few of the new characters .

One of the comic fans that donated blood and got a free signed & numbered Luxura Print

We helped to sponsor a blood drive and everyone who donated blood that day received an exclusive Free Comic Day Luxura print that was signed and number by me. We ended up giving away about 30 of them.

It was great to see some old fans and friends. I even ran into my son’s middle school teacher who remembered that I did comics. The thing that continues to amaze me is the incredible variety of people who love and read comics. CLICK HERE to see some of the fans and friends that came out for Free Comic Day.

Check out the video below from Free Comic Book Day 2012 at Dragon’s Lair.